Draft Notification Revision of minimum Rates of Wages 2018 for the Tamilnadu Employment in Tobacco Manufactory (Snuff Industry)
Labour and Employment Department issued Draft Notification Regarding the Revision of minimum Rates of Wages for the Employment in Tobacco Manufactory (Snuff Industry) under the Act and details as follows.
[G.O. (2D) No. 73, Labour and Employment (J1), 20th July 2018
1.No.II(2)/LE/723/2018.—The following draft of a Notifi cation, which is proposed to be issued in exercise of the powers conferred by clause (b) of sub-section (1) of Section 3 and sub-section (2) of Section 5 of the Minimum Wages Act, 1948 (Central Act XI of 1948), is hereby published for information of all persons likely to be affected thereby as required by clause (b) of sub-section (1) of Section 5 of the said Act.
- Notice is hereby given that any objection or suggestion, which may be received from any person with respect thereto, on or before 29-10-2018 will be considered by the Government of Tamil Nadu. Objection or suggestion, if any, should be addressed to the Principal Secretary to Government, Labour and Employment Department, Secretariat,Chennai-600 009, through the Commissioner of Labour,Chennai-600 006.
In exercise of the powers conferred by clause (b) of sub-section (1) of Section 3 and sub-section (2) of Section 5 of the Minimum Wages Act, 1948 (Central Act XI of 1948) and in supersession of the Labour and Employment Department Notification No. II(2)/LE/946/2013, published at page 814 of Part II — Section 2 of the Tamil Nadu Government Gazette, dated the 18th December, 2013, the Governor of Tamil Nadu hereby revises the minimum rates of wages payable to the classes of employees in the employment in tobacco manufactory (Snuff Industry) in the State of Tamil Nadu, specified in column(2) of the schedule below, as specified in the corresponding entries in column(3) thereof:-
Employment in tobacco manufactory (Snuff Industry)
Classes of Employees Minimum Rates of
Basic Wages Rs. P.
(1) (2) (3)
- Skilled: 210.00 per day Workers attending to all the process of work in the manufacture of snuff (manual)
- Semi-Skilled: 189.00 per day Workers engaged in both stripping and roasting or frying (manual)
- Unskilled: 183.50 per day Stripping, handling and packing and other miscellaneous works(manual)
- Piece rated works: 19.85
(i) For converting 1 Kilogram of tobacco into snuff
(ii) For cutting 1 Kilogram of tobacco 2.23
(iii) For stripping 1 Kilogram of tobacco 2.37
(iv) For roasting and frying 1Kilogram of tobacco 6.19
(v) For grinding 1 Kilogram of tobacco 6.19
(vi) For mixing of 1 Kilogram of tobacco 3.21
Explanations.- (1) Dearness Allowance.-In addition to the above minimum rates of basic wages, the employees shall be paid dearness allowance as indicated below:-
(i) The dearness allowance shall be linked to the Average Consumer Price Index Number for Chennai City for the year 2010, (that is 161 points with base 2001=100) and for every raise of one point over and above 161 points, an increase of Rs.1.13 (One rupee and thirteen paise only) per day shall be paid as dearness allowance.
(ii) The dearness allowance shall be calculated every year on the first April on the basis of the average of the indices of the preceding twelve months, namely from January to December.
(iii) The fi rst calculation shall be effective from the date of publication of this Notification in the Tamil Nadu Government Gazette, based on the Average Chennai City Consumer Price Index for the previous year.
(2) Where the nature of work is the same, no distinction in the payment of wages shall be made in case of men and women employees.
(3) To arrive at the monthly rate of wages, the daily wages shall be multiplied by 30.
(4) The minimum wages and dearness allowance fixed above includes the element of holiday wages also.
(5) Wherever the existing wages are higher than the minimum wages fixed herein, such existing wages shall be continued to be paid.
Source: TN Govt Gazette