Draft Notification Regarding the Revision of Minimum Rates of Wages for Employment in Shops and Commercial Establishments under the Act
Labour and Employment Department issued Notifications under the Minimum Wages Act for Draft Notification Regarding the Revision of Minimum Rates of Wages for Employment in Shops and Commercial Establishments under the Act vide [G.O.(2D) No.6, Labour and Employment (J1), 25, January 2018 and details as follows.
1.No.II(2)LE/190-2018.-The following draft of a Notification, which it is proposed to be issued in exercise of the powers conferred by clause (b) of sub-section (1) of Section 3 and sub-section (2) of Section 5 of the Minimum Wages Act,1948 (Central Act XI of 1948), is hereby published for information of all persons likely to be affected thereby, as required by clause (b) of sub-section (1) of Section 5 of the said Act.
- Notice is hereby given that the draft Notification will be taken into consideration on or after the expiry of two months from the date of publication of this Notification in the Tamil Nadu Government Gazette and that any objection or suggestion, which may be received from any person with respect thereto, before the expiry of the aforesaid period of two months will be considered by the Government of Tamil Nadu. Objection or suggestion, if any, should be addressed to the Principal Secretary to Government, Labour and Employment Department, Secretariat, Chennai-600 009,through the Commissioner of Labour, Chennai-600 006.
In exercise of the powers conferred by clause (b) of sub-section (1) of Section 3 and sub-section (2) of Section 5 of the minimum wages Act,1948 (Central Act XI of 1948), and in supersession of the Labour and Employment Department Notification No.II(2)/(LE)/472/2013,published at pages 467 to 469 of Part II-Section 2 of the Tamil Nadu Government Gazette, dated the 10th July 2013,the Governor of Tamil Nadu hereby revises the minimum rates of wages payable to the classes of employees in the Employment in Shops and Commercial Establishments in the State of Tamil Nadu specified in column (1) of the Schedule below, as specified in the corresponding entries in column (2) thereof.
Explanations.-(1) Dearness Allowance.-In addition to the minimum rates of basic wages fixed above, the employees shall be paid dearness allowance as indicated:-
(i) The dearness allowance is linked to the Average Consumer Price Index of Chennai City for the year 2010, that is 161 points (with base 2001 = 100) and for any further raise of every one point over and above 161 points, an increase of Rs.32.40 (Rupees thirty two and paise forty only) per month shall be paid as dearness allowance.
(ii) The dearness allowance shall be calculated every year on the 1st April on the basis of the average of the indices of the preceding 12 months, that is from January to December; and
(iii) The first calculation of the dearness allowance shall thus be effective from the date of publication of this Notification in the Tamil Nadu Government Gazette based on the average Chennai City Consumer Price Index for the previous year, that is from January to December.
(2) The classification of zones shall be as follows:-
(i) Z one – A : All Corporations and Special Grade Municipalities.
(ii) Z one – B : All Municipalities other than Special Grade Municipalities.
(iii) Z one – C : All Townships, Town Panchayats and Contonments.
(iv) Z one – D : All places other than those
mentioned in Zones A, B and C.
(3) W here the nature of work is the same, no distinction in the payment of wages shall be made between men and women employees.
(4) To arrive at daily rates of wages, the monthly wages shall be divided by 26.
(5) W herever the existing wages are higher than the minimum wages fixed herein, such higher wages shall be continued to be paid.
To download detail notification click below
Source: TN Govt